Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Odyssey in China 11/4/08

This is the first time in Lanzhou University's 100 year history that a foreign teacher ever directed a play.

Insert gulp....

There is an old Chinese saying (there is ALWAYS an old Chinese saying) that in order to achieve greatness, there must be great struggle, or obstacles or something akin to that. After living here for over a year, I believe it and it does happen. Right before you embark on anything, there will be times when your heart’s like a squirrel’s and you think all the worst things will happen and rarely do they. I almost had a few anxiety attacks from snafus or sudden changes or abrupt switcheroos, but I gotta tell you something....

When I was watching last year's play, an adaptation of Tagore’s "Chitra", I envisioned myself standing on stage and feeling it - the energy, the love of my students, whatnot. As I stepped onto the stage Tuesday, it was a deja vu. Exactly how I thought it would be - perhaps even better. The auditorium was packed. Even some of my students from last year, who are now on a different campus, showed up - even bearing flowers for me.

Before the show, the custom is to show a short video of the rehearsals - I taught them the banana dance to get them energized and they loved it. Then the two hosts arrive on stage, welcoming the faculty from Lanzhou University as well as visiting faculty from other local universities (most PCV friends of mine, god love 'em). Then the Dean of the Foreign Language School comes up and delivers a speech.

Finally it was time for me to come out and say something. I expected the gasps and the "whoas" from my students, since I was wearing a skirt and makeup - both rarely seen in the classroom, but the fierceness of the outburst made me believe that my skirt was bunched up in my underwear or that boogers were covering my face.

While the show was going on, the left side of the stage showed the English text and the right side the Chinese version. It was a short one act - only 45 minutes, but the entire time I kept my guard or anxiety at a high level - always awaiting something.

When the cast came back from their curtain call, they all quickly shuffled to me and stood silently beside me, waiting for my reaction. I opened my arms and we all got into a big group hug - unorthodox for Chinese, not wanting to show affection. Many said afterwards that they wanted to perform it again and again!! Check out the pictures. picasaweb.google.com/macdirty/theodyssey

I now can sleep, but I am back to being bored. Back to learning Chinese, reading voraciously and walking around the track late at night. Last night, my site mate, Joe, Kathleen, and I were talking about what I plan on doing with my life (10 year plan crap). After many beers, we started fantasizing about putting on ANOTHER play, nay, MUSICAL next semester. It took me 6 months to put on the Odyssey, but we think wecould do it in 3. Don't know if it will happen, but it was fun talking about it.