Sunday, September 2, 2007

Host Family Appreciation



Last night was Host Family Appreciation night. We met at a large banquet hall. All 20 of us with our parents and siblings gathered for an amazing meal. The banquets are usually bountiful with at least 15 different dishes to try, but last night we had at least 30 - some of our favorites and some of them came out of left field and left a big smooch on my heart they were so good. Most of the PC ladies wore our Qi Pao that we had made (traditional Chinese dress). I had a dress and a blouse made. The dress is for next week's swear-in. We looked hot.

All 20 of us sang a popular Chinese ballad from the 90s "Tian Mi Mi" - My Sweet Honey. It's a beautiful song. Can't get it out of my head. The banquet was a success. Afterwards we retired to our favorite garden of beer - this has been our place to get together, eat shao kao, drink Snow beer, celebrate birthdays and just enjoy our little neighborhood of Shiling Town. The other PC sites in Chengdu are located downtown so they get together a lot in western restaurants and bars; not us. I am so thankful for that.

As we were drinking and eating, a party of men stopped by, offered us beer, cigarettes and told us it was their friend's birthday. About eight of us made a beeline to his table and sang Happy Birthday in English then Chinese to him. Then we brought down the house when we sang "Tian Mi Mi" again. The crowd adored it. We ganbei-ed to his day of birth, to our beer gardens, to each other, to the stray dogs and cats, to the old ladies polishing our shoes as we imbibe.

Tonight my friend Amy and I took our families out for Huo Guo (hotpot). It was lovely to hang out with them and treat them to such a delicious and spicy meal.

Now at home, my family just gave me two bags of Sichuan specialty foods, a necklace, earrings and their wishes to maintain our connection. I plan on seeing them whenever I'm in Chengdu, which should be at least twice a year.

Tuesday we leave for the hotel. It has been exhausting, frustrating, exhilarating, comforting and overall an extremely incredible experience living with our families.

Saturday we leave for our apartments. I am so stoked to get to Lanzhou and start teaching and enjoy the solitude of my large apartment, but I will definitely miss my family here.
-- Be good, Katie