Friday, September 7, 2007

Swearing In Ceremony


Well it's official; I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer. The US Ambassador to China, Clark T Randt, Jr. swore us in. We had a few more speakers and then each site did a small presentation - slide show, skit, etc. Our site did our favorite "Tian Mi Mi" - we added a couple of fan dancers and two solos - my friend Kehl and I. It was a lot of fun. The audience loved the song and clapped along. We had a buffet of Italian, American, Chinese and Japanese (sushi!!) foods.

Now we are relaxing and preparing for the 22 hour train ride tomorrow to Lanzhou. PC gave each of us two huge rice bags full of medical equipment, hepa filters, and water purifiers. Along with all the books I borrowed from PC head office library, the bedding I bought at IKEA (I realize - surreal) and all my other crap, I will be pleased if I am able to be supine on the ride at all. I start teaching on Monday. Woo hoo!! I cannot wait.

I actually felt it - becoming a volunteer. A shiver, small breeze. It was pretty powerful. Though you realize all that you've gone through and realize that it has only been two months and I still haven't started working as a volunteer officially. Two more years. It is so exhilarating and exhausting and overwhelming. I have done so much, yet this is just the beginning.

Stay tuned, loved ones.