Thursday, August 7, 2014

Travels with Twig

Five months ago, my love and I rescued a dog named Twig, a rhodesian ridgeback/hound mix that was advertised as two years old but is actually barely a year old. It's been a long learning curve. My love has never owned a dog before and Twig is learning her new owners as well as how to be a dog.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I decided that Twig and I were going to drive to OH. We took our time getting to our destination, checking out roadside attractions throughout the midwest.

She and I got into a groove. We worked really well together. She and I were able to load up her crate, bedding, my backpack, purse and her toys while Twig was clipped to my belt. All in one trip we were able to check-in and check-out.

Twig proved to be a spectacular car dog - obedient, chill, flexible, happy. This was definitely a time when I really fell in love with her. She is definitely now my dog.

BTW - check out BringFido.com - excellent resource to find accommodations and parks that are dog-friendly around the country

Some of the best places:
Raccoon River Dog Park - West Des Moines, IA
Blue Springs, MO - fabulous park, lake and dog park
Montrose Dog Beach, Chicago - right on Lake Michigan - complete with a lifeguard!!
Goodland, KS - largest easel and painting in the US
Winterset, IA - famous covered bridges of Madison County AND birthplace of John Wayne
Pink Elephant Antiques, Livingston, IL - huge statues of spaceships, giant men AND elephants!
Kaskaskia, IL - large fire breathing dragon
St Louis, MO - some beautiful architecture
Topeka, KS - Brown v Board of Education National Monument